Noted poet and long-time Editor in Chief of the New York Evening Post, Bryant purchased a country house in Roslyn in 1843. "Cedarmere" as it was called, remained in the family until the 1970's, when it was willed to Nassau County.
Although Bryant continued to commute to New York City, he was also active in Roslyn affairs. In the early 1870s he purchased land and built a Reading Room for the people of Roslyn. At his death in 1878, the Bryant Library Association was formed, and the building and land were turned over to the Association by his daughter, Julia.
Books by and about Bryant, as well as letters, photographs and clippings about Bryant, the library and Cedarmere can be found in the library's Local History Collection.